- Admissions decisions for new student applications are considered on a rolling basis.
- Each new student application is reviewed on a space-available basis.
- We will provide an admissions decision upon receipt of a completed application, including the student visit.
It is important for all students of the Elementary School at Chewonki to be both academically and socially ready for the school year. Returning and new students will be held to consistently high expectations relative to their age and grade levels.
Students are expected to come to school:
- with a positive attitude and ready to learn
- able to follow instructions
- able to work independently at grade level
- able to function within a group and collaborate with small partner groups
- capable of making transitions smoothly
- able to respond to redirection when necessary.
The active and diverse nature of the school day requires that a student be comfortable, attentive, and engaged in a classroom or outdoor setting. We would like to serve all students’ learning and physical needs to the best of our ability. However, at this time, we do not have additional academic support teachers on staff to accommodate all student needs. Students with learning challenges or diagnosed disabilities under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), on current Individualized Education Programs (IEP), or with high-risk medical condition may request that we provide reasonable accommodations. The decision to permit or deny requested accommodations will be made on a case-by-case basis with school administration, the lead teacher, and the Chewonki supervising nurse.
It is imperative that students have adequately completed the work of the previous grade and be “on grade level,” as indicated by their records, upon entering the program. Students should be able to work independently within the classroom without regular additional teacher support. If we have a concern about your child’s learning needs, we will address that directly with you as soon as possible to design next steps.